Christopher L. DeCort
Chris is a partner at Johnson, Newlon & DeCort, P.A. He concentrates his practice in the areas of business and complex commercial litigation, with an emphasis on contract disputes. Chris has practiced extensively in both state and federal courts, representing clients in employment disputes often involving non-compete and other restrictive covenant obligations, business tort cases involving fraud and breach of fiduciary duty, officer and director and corporate litigation, breach of contract cases, first-party insurance disputes, and others. Chris was named a “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers from 2019 through 2021, and he was recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in American for his work in Commercial Litigation.
Chris earned his law degree from the Florida State University College of Law where he graduated magna cum laude, was inducted into the Order of the Coif, earned three book awards, and was a member of the Business Review and the Journal of Transnational Law & Policy. Prior to attending law school, Chris worked for six years in Tampa as a commercial trade specialist for an international container shipping line.
Chris is a former Chair of the non-profit organization Tampa Connection. He is actively involved with Business Law Section of the Florida Bar, currently serving as Chair of the Business Litigation Committee, Legislative Subcommittee Chair of the Business Courts Task Force, and a member of the Civil Rules Task Force. Previously, he served on the Board of Directors of the Bob Sierra YMCA in North Tampa. The son of a retired Army colonel, Chris has called the Tampa Bay area home since 1992. He is married with three children.
- Florida State University College of Law
J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Florida
B.A., Political Science
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Business Law Section of The Florida Bar Business Litigation Committee, Vice Chair (2022-present); Business Courts Task Force, Legislative Subcommittee Chair (2018-present); Civil Rules Task Force (2022-present); Member (2011-present); Chapter 607 Drafting Subcommittee (2017-2019)
- Tampa Connection Immediate Past Chair (2020-2021); Chair (2019-2020); Board of Directors (2016-2022); Alumni Committee, Chair (2015-2016); Alumni Committee, Member (2014-2016); Graduate, Class of 2014
- Tampa Metropolitan YMCA Board of Directors, Bob Sierra Branch (2012-2017)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (2011-present); Member Services Committee (2011-2012)
- Federal Bar Association Member (2012-present)
- Shutts & Bowen LLP (2010-2014)